Monday, September 5

best. historical. dude. ever.

I'm Joshua Abraham Norton, the first and only Emperor of the United States of America!
Which Historical Lunatic Are You?
From the fecund loins of Rum and Monkey.

I yoinked this quiz from the livejournal of AJ, who happens to be an even bigger asshole than I thought, judging by his callous and narrow view of hurricane Katrina's devastion. Just because one person can't comprehend feeling compassion for people one has never met, doesn't mean others feel the same. And to assume that a person who does care about what happened only cares out of an obligation is just pretending to have an insight. Sure, there are people out there who may only act as if they care, but they aren't the entire world. The whole depressing view reminds me of Hobbes' idea that people will, in a natural state, only look out for themselves. I tend to be more partial to Kant, because it's a fairly liveable philosophy, but when I see people like AJ, I wonder if maybe Hobbes was the one who had it right. Even a few such self-centered people can tip the balance of the entire world.

I only realized a few months ago why the comic strip is called "Calvin and Hobbes." Stupid of me. Actually, I still don't know why, but I only recently got the reference

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home