Thursday, November 2

"don't drink, don't smoke, goody two-shoes"

I have decided to substitute a good lie for a whole shitload of resonable truths.

The lie: I'm straight edge!

The truth: I'm sick of explaining why I don't smoke or drink, especially drink. Parties, gatherings, conversations, whatever, I always say the same thing: I hate the taste of most alcohol. Oh, but I haven't gotten used to it yet, I haven't yet partied hard enough to know the wonders of the fermented. Yes, about that, I'm not into the whole losing control/ fucking up my liver business either. Okay? No, not okay? You're going to try to convince to anyways, because the reason I don't drink is just because I don't know any better. No, I'm not a senior in college. I haven't seen enough drunk people to decide I'm not interested in being them. My heaviest drinking was two hard lemonades one night; obviously I'm too naive to know better than to have so little of a weak drink. Does the sarcasm bleed through your screen? My choice not to smoke is usually unquestioned. People have asked me if I smoke, I've said no, and that was it. My friends who do smoke are even considerate enough to move if they notice their smoke is getting in my face, because I am allergic to tobacco smoke. But not drinking is downright socially unacceptable, and unfathomable.

If I said my father/mother/uncle/grandmother/sister were an alcohic and had a tragic story to throw around, this would be fine with people. I would be such the triumphant individual for refusing the substance which had brought my family to ruin. Straight edge is punk, it's AFI, it's hip, it's a livestyle; or so the perception runs. It is the easier of the two lies, as I don't do drugs (we'll let the caffeine slide), drink, smoke, or watch much television. I consume little meat, lots of fiber, and cups and cups of water. I listen to some punk music (ok, so mostly post-punk), though it's the old stuff, not the particular straight edge punk, but I also don't hang out with anyone who would know the difference.

And of course, the way to begin any successful lie is by explaining it in a public forum. I'm sick of writing boring entries. Maybe try somethin' interesting next time?

2 Comments:

Anonymous nixk@rogersdotcom said...

And here I thought I was the only person who felt that way-- I guess there's two of us, at least, heh heh.

April 09, 2009 10:51 PM  
Blogger kevinstettner said...

Yes you are not the only one. I don't know anyone around me who is sXe.

April 19, 2010 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home